BAM BAM BAM
This 3-day workshop offers designers the opportunity to delve further into type design, while at the same time investigating the relationship between spoken and written language. How does sound relate to writing?
This workshop is aimed at young graphic designers who want to develop their typographic skills further by immersing themselves in the design and creation of their own typeface. In this 3-day workshop, in which sketches will be made alternately on paper and digitally, the basic principles of type design will be explained, and a digital font will eventually be made. But since letters can also be a visual representation of spoken language, during this process other possibilities to represent spoken language & sound on paper, beyond the existing conventions, will simultaneously be investigated.
Despite the fact that designing a font family usually takes several years, this entire process will be covered in a bird’s eye view during the workshop in just 3 days. Just BAM BAM BAM.
You need to have
Experience with drawing bezier outlines is desirable, for example in Illustrator or another comparable drawing program.
You need to bring
- Laptop (preferably with OSX)
- Your favorite pencils, pens and markers
- Sketch paper, tape and scissors (not required)
- We provide basic art materials
- The masterclass is in English
- The masterclass includes lunch
- There are limited places available for both Dutch and international participants.
- The masterclass takes place at Ingenhousz Breda (Doctor Jan Ingen Houszplein 42, Breda, NL).
Purchase a ticket!
- €95,00 excl. VAT for professionals.
- €75,00 incl. VAT for studenten.
- You can buy your ticket here: link
Type Craft Summer School
From 16 till 26 August Graphic Matters presents the Type Craft Summer School in Breda. The Summer School consists of six masterclasses that are completely dedicated to typography, in the broadest sense of the word.
Each masterclass will be given by a leading international designer, typographer or layout designer. In addition, there is a social programme with studio visits, type tours and lectures.
Check out our travel and accommodation tips for Breda!
Keep an Eye Foundation
This masterclass is made possible by the Keep an Eye Foundation, a Dutch foundation dedicated to talent development that supports various organisations nationwide. Read more about it here.
Want to stay up to date? Subscribe to the Graphic Matters newsletter.