- 19-10: 10:00 - 17:00
- 20-10: 10:00 - 17:00
- Sweatshop (Industriekade 15)
Unfortunately this workshop has been cancelled. All attendees have been notified by e-mail.
Storytelling is at the art of visualising data for audiences. Designing a magazine is no different. You take your reader through a journey of discovery, and exploration. This workshop aims to combine both crafts in one unique hands-on experience that spans over two days of fast-paced exercises, group activities, inspiring talks and examples, and all the dataviz and editorial insights from the full team of Market Cafe Magazine.
The workshop is open to anyone who wants to use data visualisation and infographic storytelling as an editorial tool, whether for print or digital outcomes.
Participants will be designing and printing a risograph A3 poster-zine, containing infographics, on the subject of space exploration (since 2019 it’s the 50th anniversary of the moon landing!). The poster data-zine will be printed in two colours – based on the Market Cafe Magazine signature style, using a risograph printer. Participants will deal with colour limitation when designing their visualisations as well as when preparing files for print, which will provide an exciting challenge as well as stylistic nuance. The workshop will be mostly computer-free.
- Day one: produce visualisations and the layout of the zine.
- Day two: pre-print finalisation and mostly print with a risograph printer.
As a takeaway, participants should be able to print enough copies of the data-zine so that each can take home their own unique copy of the zine.
You need to bring:
- Your sketchbook and pens.
- Laptops are not necessary for Day 1 but participants are welcome to bring one if they need to do some contextual (and quick!) research.
- Printed datasets for the groups.
- Printed A4 sheets with photographic images relevant to the subject of space.
- Printed A4 sheets with infographic devices.
- Coloured card A4 sheets.
- Letter stencils.
- Coloured stamps.
- Pre-templated layout pages of the data-zine, including graphic elements.
- Tracing paper.
- Coloured sharpies.
Deze workshop is uitverkocht!
- The workshop has space for 16 participants.
- Lunch/dinner is not included in the workshop. The festival location, the Havenkwartier, offers a diverse range of restaurants.
Market Cafe Magazine
Market Cafe Magazine is a zine about data visualization founded in 2017 by information designers and educators Tiziana Alocci and Piero Zagami.
Reading Market Cafe Magazine you will hear from different voices about what designing information means and where it's going. The zine is 100% independent, ad-free, self-published and distributed in London.
Market Cafe Magazine is not only a zine. It's also an online and offline community: they organise workshops and meetups to discuss the different sides of working with data.